Carroll Bell is born
In 1922, a $30,000 bond issue
passed to build a six-room red brick building on East Huff Avenue named
Huff Avenue Ward School (now Wright Elementary) and a two-room school
named San Jose Ward School (now Carroll Bell Elementary) on the corner
of Harding Boulevard and Pleasanton Road. Each school taught
grades first through eighth.
Carroll Bell Elementary now teaches Pre-K through 5th grade with Dual language being included up to 4th grade.
Today, the Harlandale Independent
School District serves about 14,700 students with two high schools, four
middle schools, 13 elementary schools, a facility for special needs and
two alternate campuses. The district has come a long way from its
beginnings as a one-room, one-teacher, rural school. The credit,
however, for more than 100 years of educating our children in Harlandale
ISD goes to the parents, educators and citizens of this community.